The Mudville Gazette
This is Mudville Gazette Back-up Site forwww.mudvillegazette.com

Friday, April 25, 2003


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

William Shakespeare was born this week (April 23) in 1564. If he were alive today (and I've never seen proof he is dead) he would be 439. I'll bet he would be grumpy. Especially about how things have changed. I dedicate this verse to Shakespeare on the anniversary of his birth:

Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, Bill Shakespeare, happy birthday to you!

I know, not exactly Shakespeare. I have noticed, however, that he and I use many of the same words! It's true! But the best thing about Shakespeare is he's public domain! And he wrote one of the world's first war blogs in Henry V. As a bonus, it's a speech the English King Henry gives his men before they go put a whupass on a bunch of Frenchmen. So by way of real tribute to the Bard:

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.




Home